To register to e-file with the EDVA, you must be an attorney who is a member of our bar or of the Eastern District of Virginia'U.S. Attorney's Office, and you must have either taken a live class or passed the the EDVA online policies and procedures quiz.
Only attorneys can register to e-file, but anyone may take the live classes. In fact, support staff are encouraged to attend a class.
Live classes are free and are held at the Alexandria, Richmond, and Norfolk courthouses.
The CM/ECF Class
• runs approximately two and a half hours, from 9:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.;
• is worth 2.5 hours of CLE credit; and
• covers EDVA ECF policies and procedures, Internet e-filing resources, and training database practice.
To register for a live class, take the following steps:
1. Review the dates below to see when you can attend and register for your preferred class at least two weeks before the class date. Classes will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. If fewer than six people have registered for a class two weeks (10 business days) before the scheduled date, we may cancel the class and reschedule the students for another class of their choosing.
9 :30 - 12:00, 12/12/2012, 1/16/2013, 3/20/2013, 5/15/2013, 7/17/2013, 9/18/2013
9:30 - 12:00, 1/15/2013, 3/12/2013, 5/14/2013, 7/16/2013, 9/17/2013
9:30 - 12:00, 1/8/2013, 4/9/2013, 7/9/2013, 10/8/2013
2. Check your e-mail's spam filter and ensure that e-mails will be allowed through from this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. If your e-mail filtering software blocks transmissions from this address, you may not receive your class registration confirmation e-mail, and you will not receive your login and password and your notices of electronic filing.
3. Register for a class here. You will receive an e-mail confirming your registration. If you have any questions before or after you register, you can call the divisional help desk numbers listed in Step 5. Please note: you will not be able to register online for a class on the day that it is being offered; call the appropriate division's clerk's office and speak to a trainer about whether the class in which you are interested still has room.
4. Use the EDVA Internet site to get information about directions, parking, and other forms of transportation. Please note that cell phones are not permitted in any courthouse. Food and drink are also prohibited, both in entering the courthouses and in the training rooms. Please also review the list of other prohibited items. You will need a photo ID to enter the courthouse.
5. Give us the courtesy of at least 48 hours' notice if you need to cancel your registration. Please note that you will need to cancel registration for one class before enrolling in another class. To cancel your registration, call the divisional helpdesk at the numbers below:
Alexandria Help Desk:
Norfolk/Newport News Help Desk:
Richmond Help Desk: