Proposed Local Rule Amendments
Call For Public Comments
On November 13, 2014, the Court proposed amendments to Local Civil Rule 7.1, Local Civil Rule 83.1, and Local Criminal Rule 57.4. Please click here for the full text of the proposed amendments.
Local Civil Rule 7.1 is being amended to delete the requirement to file two copies of the financial statement, since only one is required due to electronic filing procedures. Local Civil Rule 83.1 and Local Criminal Rule 57.4 are being amended, adding to each a subparagraph M, given the recent issuance of Legal Opinion 1874 by the Virginia State Bar, concerning undisclosed legal assistance being provided to pro se litigants. The Court believes it is appropriate to enact the proposed amendments to reaffirm the Court’s previous decisions barring a pro se litigant from having an attorney assist in the preparation of a filing with the Court unless that assistance is disclosed in writing.
The amendments will take effect on January 9, 2015, subject to revision in light of any comments received. Interested parties may submit comments on the proposed amendments by U.S. mail or e-mail on or before December 15, 2014, to:
Clerk of Court
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
600 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
The Local Rules are available as a printable document (in PDF format). You must have Adobe Reader software on your computer to read the PDF file. To download the free software, click on this link.
The Local Rules were last amended on July 7, 2014. At that time, Civil Local Rule 83.5 was implemented. The new rule served to address the review of orders from the United States Patent and Trademark Office concerning admission, suspension, or exclusion to practice given that the venue for these cases had been moved from the District of Columbia to the Eastern District of Virginia.
You may also find the following documents helpful. These were compiled based on previous local rule amendments:
- A guide to redacting personal identifiers (February, 2005, Local Rule 7 and Local Criminal Rule 47 amendments).
- Instructions on tracking motions to seal (March, 2004, Local Civil Rule 5 and Local Criminal Rule 49).
Districtwide: Plan for the Random Selection of Grand and Petit Jurors
Districtwide: Order Revising Forfeiture of Collateral List
Districtwide: Court Reporter Management Plan
Norfolk and Newport News Divisions: Order on Assignment of Certain Matters to United States Magistrate Judges
- A list of helpful hints prepared by the Clerk's Office for attorneys and pro se litigants practicing in the Alexandria Division.
- A list of helpful hints prepared by the Clerk's Office for attorneys and pro se litigants practicing in the Richmond Division.
- A list of helpful hints prepared by the Clerk's Office for attorneys and pro se litigants practicing in the Norfolk and Newport News Divisions .