The Local Rules are available as a printable document (in PDF format). You must have Adobe Reader software on your computer to read the PDF file. To download the free software, click on this link.
The Local Rules were last amended on January 9, 2015. At that time, Local Civil Rule 7.1 was amended to delete the requirement to file two copies of a financial statement, since only one is required due to electronic filing procedures. Local Civil Rule 83.1 and Local Criminal Rule 57.4 were amended as well, adding to each a subparagraph M, given the issuance of Legal Opinion 1874 by the Virginia State Bar, concerning undisclosed legal assistance being provided to pro se litigants. The Court believed it appropriate to amend these local rules to reaffirm the Court's previous decisions barring a pro se litigant from having an attorney assist in the preparation of a filing with the Court unless that assistance was disclosed in writing.
You may also find the following documents helpful. These were compiled based on previous local rule amendments:
- A guide to redacting personal identifiers (February, 2005, Local Rule 7 and Local Criminal Rule 47 amendments).
- Instructions on tracking motions to seal (March, 2004, Local Civil Rule 5 and Local Criminal Rule 49).
Districtwide: Plan for the Random Selection of Grand and Petit Jurors
Districtwide: Order Revising Forfeiture of Collateral List
Districtwide: Court Reporter Management Plan
Norfolk and Newport News Divisions: Order on Assignment of Certain Matters to United States Magistrate Judges
- A list of helpful hints prepared by the Clerk's Office for attorneys and pro se litigants practicing in the Alexandria Division.
- A list of helpful hints prepared by the Clerk's Office for attorneys and pro se litigants practicing in the Richmond Division.
- A list of helpful hints prepared by the Clerk's Office for attorneys and pro se litigants practicing in the Norfolk and Newport News Divisions .