The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia will be going live on the Next Generation of CM/ECF (NextGen CM/ECF) on Monday, April 19, 2021. This change will affect ALL registered CM/ECF users.
NextGen CM/ECF includes "Central Sign-On", which allows registered users to access all NextGen courts to which they already have access (Appellate, Bankruptcy, and District Courts) using only one PACER login and password.
ALL registered CM/ECF users must have their own individual upgraded PACER account. PACER account credentials are used for logging in to the NextGen CM/ECF system. Shared PACER accounts cannot be used after April 19, 2021.Firms may set up a PACER Administrative Account (PAA) for Individual Accounts to be centrally billed for PACER access fees: https://www.pacer.gov/reg_firm.html
- What Attorneys Need to Do to Get Ready for NextGen in the Eastern District of Virginia - Flowchart
- Upgrading Your Legacy Pacer Account - do before April 19, 2021
- Determine whether you PACER account is an upgraded or legacy account [Legacy accounts were created prior to August 11, 2014 and will have 6 characters in the username. Legacy accounts must be upgraded in order to file in NextGen CM/ECF courts.
- Any questions regarding individual PACER accounts should be directed to PACER at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 676-6856.
- Answers to frequently asked questions may be found at https://pacer.uscourts.gov/help/faqs/nextgen-cm-ecf.
- Know your CM/ECF e-filing username and password that was issued by the Eastern District of Virginia. If you do not know your username and password please email email@example.com or contact Clerk's Office Help Desk at (Alexandria) 703-299-2101, (Norfolk/Newport News) 757-222-7201, or (Richmond) 804-916-2220. - do before April 19, 2021
- Linking your VAED CMECF e-filing account to your upgraded PACER account - do on or after April 19, 2021
- CJA Exempt Status Instructions
- A single NextGen account will allow you to toggle between exempt (CJA) and non-exempt (Non-CJA).