How do I notify the court of my address change and primary email address change for my individual upgraded PACER account? All addresses and primary email address changes must be requested via pacer.gov. Once you update your information with PACER, the court will be notified by PACER and update the same requested changes. Your Secondary email addresses are the only thing you can change without a request via pacer.gov by logging into CM/ECF. Click here for instructions.
The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia upgraded to Next Generation of CM/ECF (NextGen CM/ECF) on Monday, April 19, 2021. This change will affect ALL registered CM/ECF users.
NextGen CM/ECF includes "Central Sign-On", which allows registered users to access all NextGen courts to which they already have access (Appellate, Bankruptcy, and District Courts) using only one PACER login and password.
ALL registered CM/ECF users must have their own individual upgraded PACER account. PACER account credentials are used for logging in to the NextGen CM/ECF system. Shared PACER accounts cannot be used after April 19, 2021.Firms may set up a PACER Administrative Account (PAA) for Individual Accounts to be centrally billed for PACER access fees: https://www.pacer.gov/reg_firm.html
- What Attorneys Need to Do to Get Ready for NextGen in the Eastern District of Virginia - Flowchart
- Upgrading Your Legacy Pacer Account - do on or after April 19, 2021
- Determine whether your PACER account is an upgraded or legacy account [Legacy accounts were created prior to August 11, 2014 and will have 6 characters in the username]. Legacy accounts must be upgraded in order to file in NextGen CM/ECF courts.
- Any questions regarding individual PACER accounts should be directed to PACER at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 676-6856.
- Answers to frequently asked questions may be found at https://pacer.uscourts.gov/help/faqs/nextgen-cm-ecf.
- Know your CM/ECF e-filing username and password that was issued by the Eastern District of Virginia. If you do not know your username and password please email email@example.com or contact Clerk's Office Help Desk at (Alexandria) 703-299-2101, (Norfolk/Newport News) 757-222-7201, or (Richmond) 804-916-2220. - do before or after April 19, 2021
- Linking your VAED CM/ECF account to your upgraded PACER account - do on or after April 19, 2021
- CJA Exempt Status Instructions
- A single NextGen account will allow you to toggle between exempt (CJA) and non-exempt (Non-CJA).